Current:Home > StocksEthermac Exchange-Critics seek delay in planned cap on shelter for homeless families in Massachusetts -Capitatum
Ethermac Exchange-Critics seek delay in planned cap on shelter for homeless families in Massachusetts
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 01:45:05
BOSTON (AP) — Lawyers representing homeless families in Massachusetts are Ethermac Exchangeasking the courts to temporarily bar the state from capping the number of families offered emergency shelter.
Democratic Gov. Maura Healey has said the state will cap the number of families at 7,500 and create a waiting list. Those with the highest needs will prioritized, Healey said.
As of Tuesday, the state reported 7,389 families were enrolled in the state’s emergency shelter system. Healey said 40 to 50 new families are requesting shelter each day and that an influx of migrants is driving the spike in demand.
Critics say Healey’s plan violates the state’s “right-to-shelter” law. Under the law, Massachusetts is legally required to provide shelter to eligible families through the emergency assistance program.
Lawyers for Civil Rights, a nonprofit based in Boston, filed the class-action lawsuit on behalf of three families on the brink of homelessness, arguing that Healey’s changes are being rushed into place without any public process or required notice to the Legislature.
When the Legislature funded the program, it required the agency in charge — the Executive Office of Housing and Livable Communities — to give lawmakers 90 days notice of any changes in case they wanted to intervene, lawyers for the group argued.
A ruling could come down as early as Wednesday about whether the Healey administration can institute the cap and wait list without the 90 day notice.
Healey said the state isn’t abandoning the right to shelter law, but has to deal with shelter capacity.
“We do not have the shelter space, the physical space. We do not have the number of shelter providers and service providers to be able to withstand this capacity and we don’t have the funding,” Healey said Tuesday on WBUR.
Kelly Turley, director of the Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless, called the cap artificial and said it could force families to make untenable choices.
“For families right now that are ineligible for shelter they’re often going back to unsafe places. They’re staying doubled or tripled-up with family members or friends, going to hospital emergency rooms, staying in cars, campgrounds,” she said.
Also Tuesday, Edward Augustus the state’s secretary of housing and livable communities, issued a declaration finding the current rate of expansion in the emergency shelter program unsustainable. The declaration helps pave the way for the creation of the wait list and cap on new families.
Healey said a larger problem is the lack of enough affordable housing in the state. Earlier this month. Healey unveiled a $4 billion bill aimed at creating new homes and making housing more affordable.
On Monday, Healey announced that the state is teaming with federal officials to help migrants apply for work authorization permits and move out of the shelter system.
Democratic Massachusetts House Speaker Ronald Mariano said Monday the House has no plans to change the 1983 right-to-shelter law but continues to evaluate the need for additional funding.
Families are spread out across hundreds of locations in 90 cities and towns in a range of facilities, from traditional shelters to temporary sites like college dorms.
veryGood! (21911)
Related
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Why Khloe Kardashian “Can’t Imagine” Taking a Family Christmas Card Photo Anymore
- DeSantis and Newsom will face off in a Fox News event featuring two governors with White House hopes
- Nearly 2 months into the war, many Israelis have no idea if their relatives are dead or alive
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Kirk Herbstreit defends 'Thursday Night Football' colleague Al Michaels against criticism
- Stock market today: Asian shares slip after Wall Street ends its best month of ’23 with big gains
- Why Kris Jenner Wasn’t “Very Happy” About Kourtney Kardashian’s Public Pregnancy Reveal
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Rep. George Santos remains defiant as House to vote on expulsion this week
Ranking
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Shane MacGowan, irascible frontman of The Pogues, has died at age 65
- Connor Stalions’ drive unlocked his Michigan coaching dream — and a sign-stealing scandal
- Las Vegas man accused of threats against Jewish U.S. senator and her family is indicted
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Henry Kissinger, controversial statesman who influenced U.S. foreign policy for decades, has died
- Ferry operators around the country to receive $200M in federal grants to modernize fleets
- College football head coaches at public schools earning millions in bonuses for season
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Elon Musk says advertiser boycott at X could kill the company
Haslam family refutes allegation from Warren Buffett’s company that it bribed truck stop chain execs
Rep. George Santos is facing a vote on his expulsion from Congress as lawmakers weigh accusations
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Horoscopes Today, November 30, 2023
Live updates | More Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners are released under truce
CEOs favor stock analysts with the same first name, study shows. Here's why.